Welcome to Homemaking Heaven: Make it Home. Pull up a seat and pour yourself a cuppa!

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Bloggyness-whats in a name?

There are so many why this and why that blog posts at the moment it got me thinking about my own blog and there are a couple things i was thinking to myself, which i sort of thought i could share so that if you ever think...why the heck did you do that, then you'd know...or maybe have a bit more insight.
Its obvious I'm not any sort of professional writer, and i think as with most blogs i write how i talk, and so when if you were to bump into me in the street and i said something where you did think...ooh doesn't that sound pretentious/nutty/rude i could correct myself, but on here i cant...so that's the why out of the way!
Today i thought id say why i wanted to tell you all about the title of this blog...Homemaking Heaven.

I started this blog in 2009, but didn't really do much with it.  I remember it was only a couple of months after getting married and The Husband and i had visited friends on the other side of the country.  It was an amazing trip and i loved every second of it, although i was a bit frightened to go.  Yes, it was my best friend, but i had hardly seen her in ages and the meeting before last wasn't all i thought it would be....you see my friend already lived with her long term boyfriend, toddler and was pregnant again.  She lived in a big house in the middle of a small island.  It looked perfect and from the way she spoke it was.  I was much too caught up in my wedding to really get into asking her how everything was, although i know now that if i scratched the surface i could have seen it was all a front.  I wish i had done, but she had 'put me off the scent' and i fell for it.
My lovely sweet friend did what i guess lots of women do, she put on a front.  And on this particular meeting i soaked it all in.  She had spoken of her perfect makes, bakes, life, chores that practically do themselves and her perpetually happy look on life.  So when The Husband and i went to visit our friends again later in the year i was intimidated and then some!  I fell short of her in every aspect there could be.  My cakes fell in the middle, i covered them with butter cream or just filled them with fruit.  I never stuck to any make at all.  I grew inpatient and gave up, my makes went as far as tying ribbon to things.  The dust piled high in my house as i was always too busy either with the wedding, university, work and trying to spend time with my husband.
However when i met my lovely friend i saw her stories for what they were.  I was so ashamed I'd let her tell me these things.  I felt awful that my wonderful, funny and very witty friend felt she needed to portray herself to be all of the things she told me she was, and i felt awful that i got jealous. 

I started to think about what homemaking was.  Was it being perfect at everything, what extent of chores to makes needed to be done in the home by the woman or family in the house.  Could you be a homemaker who threw their hands up in the air and said they didn't want to do various things?  And that's where this blog came from.

I wanted to be a homemaker, but i couldn't do everything.  I wanted to make the best life for my family, but i didn't know how to.  I wanted to say at the end of my day that it was a success, but i was still scared to say i was proud to make house...i didn't want to be seen as a child at a plastic kitchen set and a dolly.  I wanted to be part of the growing number of women that know it is worth their while making things for their family. 
I guess this blog is all over the place, sometimes its busy and sometimes its quiet, sometimes i have lots to do and sometimes its a bit reflective.  I think and imagine it will change as i change, but it came from a tiny seed, and a tiny thought, it was about my friends, my family and my life....and a dream about how i wanted to make my own life.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I really liked this post :) I think i'm a bit the same. Before i had my little girl (now 4), i was so upset that i thought my life had been taken away and i thought it was the worst thing to call myself a housewife or a homemaker. As time has gone on, and, mainly in the past year, i've realised, i really love homemaking! What's wrong with it!? I may be quite young and i still have lots of projects that i want to do, i may not be great and on the ball too much when it comes to the house work (!) , but i love it!! Sometimes i've noticed that we women try to compete with having a perfect house...a lot of my friends houses seemed really grown up and i always felt like mine was a bit childish, but who cares, i say!! great post!!! :)