Welcome to Homemaking Heaven: Make it Home. Pull up a seat and pour yourself a cuppa!

Monday 27 September 2010

Day trips and visitors

Snuggley under blankets? Check!
Cosy warm cocoa? Check!

New book? Check!

Puppy on my lap while sitting in the sun porch as its raining outside? Check!

Well the weather outside has been rain, rain, rain..booo, but I have been hiding under duvets, blankets, eiderdowns, etc.... That was until Friday, anyway, when we had The Nephew over for the weekend.

Last week The Husband went on a stag weekend with his friends. They were out in the middle of nowhere shooting clay pigeons, getting up to hi-jinks and pretty much running about in mud like boys! I went over to The Mother in Laws house to help her look after our new little niece. My poor sister in law is really poorly at the moment and can’t bend down or do really basic tasks so looking after a teeny tiny baby is nearly impossible. So being without my husband I thought it would be a good chance to help out and see the baby. While there I’d noticed that the teenager in the house was being left to his own devices, which just won’t do!!!

So we picked up the nephew and went home on Friday night to spend the long weekend having lots of walks, stews and fun! We had a late night on Saturday eating popcorn and watching bad TV, and were planning a lazy Sunday when my uncle phoned and invited us down to St Andrews with him and my aunty to meet my cousin. Apparently they were planning to meet half way between both houses, Aberdeen and Edinburgh, but once they had decided it was Dundee and checked the weather decided on the much sunnier St Andrews! I think it also had something to do with the fact there are much more shops for my aunty to spend money in while in Dundee!!

The Husband rushed through to get the teenager out of bed while I went to get started on the pancakes, sausage and bacon (the best breakfast there ever was). About an hour later we were heading out of the village and on our way south. Three hours later we had pulled up on the main street (Yay, no waiting or fees). It was so great and beautiful down there. TH and nephew had never been and the last time I went was twelve years ago. My cousin had studied there and managed to do her best tour guide impression, which even kept The Teenager impressed and entertained. There were so many gorgeous independent shops which were a visual feast and made my aunty and myself sigh with both longing and delight.

When the walking (walking and stopping for the girls to look in shops) got too much for everyone we found a nice place for ice cream and then got lunch a short while later. With Daisy Dog tucked under the table we went for a lovely pub lunch, where we filled ourselves to the top with hearty food and lots of ginger beer and cola.

We headed home, full up and sleepy from the sea air to little snacks and early bed times. I bet the house seems so quiet when our little teenager heads to his home today. I hope it won’t be too long before he decides to come back to us (as he knows he will get fussed over!!)

x x x x

No comments: